Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dinner at 8

cocktails served from 3pm til.    That's how I grew up.

My sister (the bat signal) and I would get up on Thanksgiving morning to find mom pouring coffee with the butter already saute'-ing the oinions and celery for the Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing while the turkey sat tits up in the sink awaiting her skills to remove the un-necessary and season the rest for entree into the roaster.  "Happy TurkeyDay girls!"  And we would watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade in front of Macy's via NBC.  We sat at a formal dining table in a formal dining room.  The protocols for holiday dinner were preset.  Everything was done, the house was spotless, the dogs were fed, the children were dressed by 3 in their holiday clothes and guests would begin to arrive between 4 and 5...
Debbie or I showed them in (Mom was always just about to descend the stairs) and by the time I was 9, I offered, then poured you your pleasure.  On the rocks, generally.  Scotch or vodka  usually dominated any concocted formula.  Welcome aboard!  My godmother, Kazaah (short for her initials KZA) swore me a wizard for cracking the ice in perfection, muddling the cherry juice and bitters with sweet and rendering her muddled Old Fashioned like 'a pro'.   I'm guessing you can grasp the routine, the way it were at our house on the holidays?   Dinner was "around" 8,  dishes would have been cleared by 11pm.  Memorable to me...  as memorable as yours is to you! ...and I miss the sound of mom's laughter and the kiss goodnight before we were off to bed, long before their evening was over 'out there'.    Coffee (rusts' the pipes!) would be eschewed for after dinner drinks and good times would carry out over the water behind the house through the neighborhood to mingle with all the other household laughter along the waterway .... that was home.   That was our tradition.  It's still much the same.  Though the little bat signal doesn't drink, she minds the keys to the vehicles!  And it's become the Tradition at the famous TLH's beautiful home... in a formal dinning room, with a formal table.  Now it's yours truly who gets 'carried up the golden stairs' after an evening of gratitude and merry meet.  This year, for the first time in oh so many, I am grateful to attend and be with my 'family'  so much so that it's only tonight that the thought of yesterday haunts me.  In a good way.  In a way which reminds me, that even though things are very difficult world wise, including here at the old homestead,  but still there is much...... much to be grateful for.

What can we call 'harvest' this year?

Gasoline prices seem to be falling again.

In January we watched the first African American President sworn into office.  I don't know about you, but it was a real 'moment' in my life.  I'm proud of it.  Proud of the United States of America for it.  And I'm proud of him for winning the Nobel Peace Prize, too.

I'm proud of Hillary.  Not the first woman to fill the job she's doing; but I hope for her to be one of the most memorable... she already is for her campaign to win the higher office.  [Though I have no pride in her husband this week!]    

I'm proud of Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, a hero whose calm saved 155 people, including a little baby, from an icy and fiery death in what could only be called a miracle by landing his USAirways airbus on the Hudson River.

U.S. Navy snipers fatally shot three pirates holding an American cargo-ship captain hostage after seeing that one of the pirates had an AK-47 leveled at the captain's back in yet another Somali attack against free shipping. The US Navy came to the rescue and demonstrated the reason they are finest in the world.  Capt. Richard Phillips' ship, the Maersk Alabama, was stormed by pirates 350 miles off Somalia.

Representative Alan Clayton from my own state!

NASA's Kepler Mission, a space photometer which will search for extrasolar planets in the Milky Way galaxy, is launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, USA.

In June, the people of Iran began to protest the what they felt was the illegal election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as the president of Iran. During the following weeks, supporters of defeated candidate Mir-Hossein Mousavi protest the results. The resultant violence is said to be the worst seen in Iran since the Iranian revolution of 1979.[50]    Alu Akbar!

The longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, lasting up to 6 minutes and 38.8 seconds, occurs over parts of Asia and the Pacific Ocean; it is figured to be the most widely observed total eclipse in human history.

Bolivia becomes the first South American country to declare the right of indigenous people to govern themselves.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il pardons two American journalists, who had been arrested and imprisoned for illegal entry earlier in the year, after former U.S. President Bill Clinton meets with Kim in North Korea.


CERN restarts the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator in Geneva, Switzerland; they had shut it down on September 19, 2008.    [Yes, I think it's very cool!]


 
In remembrance, I'll toast Teddy Kennedy, Walter Cronkite, Ted Andrews and (probably) Michael Jackson...among so many.

The best book I read this year: "The View from the Center of the Universe" by Primack & Abrams.

Best movie I saw in a theater: Religilous - Bill Maher

[There is much I've not mentioned...but hell... MM's team will cover it... or Sozadee or Sat. Afternoon Post will, or RZ or BB or you know... I know you'll all cover it!]


The best thing I witnessed this year so far:  The picture is of a West Boca Raton Bull: George DeMaria, #7, Captain of the Defense team.... Mr. Handsome to me.  





TouchDown Bliss!  #7 made the last touchdown of the 
BULLS  season!
[The Bat Signal, #7's proud Mom!]


Now... BASEBALL!!!!!!

And I'm very grateful for all my blogging buddies....
May you all enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Happy Happpy Turkey Day y'all!

No comments: